I'm self-centered, and I have a lot to say.

Why being a tattoo artist is the best job ever:
1. You're a tattoo artist. That in itself makes you way cooler than most people you'll meet (Just kidding. I'm not really THAT cocky.)
2. You get paid to put artwork on people. That's neat in itself. A doodle on the front of your notebook is pretty cool, but a doodle on a guy's (or girl's, let's be fair) is the bee's knees.
3. You meet all sorts of interesting people. You meet all sorts of drunk people, stupid people, and downright useless people too, but the interesting one's make it worthwhile.
4. Being heavily tattooed isn't just allowed, it's encouraged, damn near required. When was the last time you saw a tattoo artist with only a couple tattoos? If you have, the guy probably isn't a tattooist, but probably a floor boy, or possibly an apprentice.
5. You can get a job in pretty much any city in the world, especially if your portfolio is impressive. Of course, I've seen mediocre artists get jobs at headlining shops. Nevertheless, tattooists always have a job.
6. When business is good, the money is great. Period.
7. You never have to pay for tattoos again.
8. You can get pretty much anything you want in trade for tattoo work. I've seen people trade everything from flat-screen TVs, to cases of MREs (meals, ready to eat...army food if you didn't already know) for tattoo work. I've acquired some cool things as well. If the world ever went back to the barter system, tattooists would be the richest people on Earth. Plain and simple.

I'd like to add, that while being a tattooist is pretty damn awesome, it has it's downsides. When people find out your occupation, the rest of the conversations you'll ever have with them will be about the tribal armband they want, with barbed wire wrapped around it, and "chinese letters" below it that say "Robert." Geez. But I'm not bitching. Being a tattooist has been my dream since I was 8 years old. It's a hard industry to break in to. I tried for years and years. But I'm finally in my career, and I'm happy. Thanks to everyone who's ever supported me, and for the one's who don't know me, maybe one day you'll give me the pleasure of putting my art on your skin.

No Response to "I'm self-centered, and I have a lot to say."

Post a Comment